Your Partner for a Healthy Community
Frank Kruppa – Public Health Director
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 20, 2020
For media inquiries: Samantha Hillson, 607-274-6600, firstname.lastname@example.org
For health inquiries: Community Health Services at 607-274-6604
For general inquiries (non-medical): Call 2-1-1 or 877-211-8667
New York State Hotline for COVID-19: 1-888-364-3065
Health Advisory Update: Importance of Community Social Distancing
(Ithaca, NY – March 20, 2020) – The Tompkins County Health Department (TCHD) is reinforcing the importance of social distancing for the community. Social distancing is crucial to slowing the spread of COVID-19.
Community social distancing means:
- People should not gather in groups outside of their homes, with the exception of essential workers.
- Keep 6 feet distance between yourself and others.
· Limit all outdoor recreational activities to non-contact and avoid activities that put you in close contact with people.
· Social Distancing does not mean emotional isolation, check on friends, coworkers, neighbors through phone and text.
· Wash hands well and often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Those at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19, including older adults, those who are immune-compromised, or have a chronic medical condition, especially heart or lung disease, and diabetes, should avoid in-person contact with others.
“As the number of positive cases increase, social distancing must continue to be a community effort – one in which everyone plays a part,” said Public Health Director, Frank Kruppa.
If you develop symptoms of illness including fever, cough, or trouble breathing, call your healthcare provider before seeking in-person medical care.
As this situation evolves, check the TCHD website for updates. Frequently Asked Questions are available here: https://tompkinscountyny.gov/health/factsheets/coronavirusfaq
Stay informed. Get updated information on COVID-19 at:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
NYS DOH: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/
World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Visit the CDC’s Traveler’s Health webpage for the latest travel health notices at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
A hotline is available for New Yorkers to call for information about COVID-19: 1-888-364-3065.
For more information go to the Health Department website: https://tompkinscountyny.gov/health.
Find us on Facebook @TompkinsPublicHealth and Twitter@TompkinsHealth.